Saturday, August 15, 2009

Music Review #2

The Jester's Dead's 'The Jesters Dead' (Self Titled)
Genre: Synth Pop-Punk
Length: 12 Minutes (approximate)

I got a email from this band asking if I could review their stuff. So although I've never heard of them before, they're not half bad. This is their first official release and they're giving it away completely free. Which definitely makes me feel better about it being on this blog. Anyway, let me just say that if you like pop-punk in general, I strongly suggest you try this EP. It has that nice pop influenced singing for sure. The guitar work is nice but nothing phenomenal or eye-(ear?)-catching. The bass is ok, it has it's moments (check out Cassette Hate). Drums feel lacking for the most part, they do their job and every now and then there's a nice fill. It just feels like everything on this album is only doing it's job. Nothing more and nothing less.

Chalk Avenue is a very synth ridden poppy intro for sure, I'm a fan.
The Humility Bullet feels bland and filling. It's overly safe, I admire songs that take chances and this, unfortunately, is not one of those.
Cassette Hate has a nice hardcore touch while very staying melodic.
144 is surprisingly rock and roll, while progressing into straight up punk.

I can't say this band changed my life, but they're a nice listen. I'm grateful for learning of them. they'll stay on my MP3 player for a couple months I suppose but nothing more. One sentence to describe this band? Not amazing but not terrible. This EP is free so I do recommend giving it a few minutes of your time.

Key Tracks: It's only four songs, just hear for yourself.

Rating: 3/5

'The Jester's Dead'
2009 EP Album
Photobucket
1.Chalk Avenue
2.The Humility Bullet
3.Cassette Hate
4.144

No comments:

Post a Comment